Carrying the legacy of Carl W. Nelson, the Carl W. Nelson Animal Shelter is a 501C3 organization in Mauston, Wisconsin. We operate a modern, no-kill animal shelter for Juneau County's homeless animals. We are licensed by the State of Wisconsin DATCP license number 411646. We are a non-profit organization with a mission to help homeless animals through our adoption program, community outreach programs and humane education programs. Visit our "Ways to Help" page to find out how you can help. WE NEED YOU!
- Hand sanitizer is available and should be used before entering each animal area.
- Walk-ins are welcome, but if you want to adopt a cat or dog you must have an approved application (available on our website and at shelter).
- Please do not visit if you are not feeling well. We are happy to help you over the phone, via FB Messenger or email.
- If you have a cat or dog to surrender call 608-847-4060 and leave a message. This is an answering machine so you MUST leave a message. Someone will return your call in 24-48 hours. WE DO NOT ACCEPT DROP OFFS.
- Applications are reviewed in the order received. We do not adopt without a completed application. Same day adoptions for people living out of area must be scheduled in advance. **Priority is given to actual applications vs. Emails, inquiries, and messages.
If you are looking for a lost dog, please contact the Juneau County Sheriff's Department at 608-847-5649.
If you want to report a stray dog contact the Juneau County Sheriff's Department at 608-847-5649.